Wednesday, March 11, 2009

When a friend sends seeds but the seed company doesn't


Another crazyass day meteorologically speaking, four different days of weather packed into one, what fun!

The bright spots were two: receiving seeds from an old friend and discovering, yet again, how surprised I feel every time I notice new seedlings emerge. You'd think I'd be used to it.

The low point was a solitary one: no sign of ordered seeds from one of my fave little seed companies who in the past have always been super-prompt. Compound this with a constant busy signal. I get a queasy feeling. All my other seeds have arrived from all the other companies. It's not the end of the world but it's important to me trying hard to truly diversify my varieties this year, having spent alot of time scouring through all the offerings and trying to time my seed starting. Ah well.

My 'black' poppy seedling emerged today. They were collected from these plants. I know many folks just hand sow poppies in the Fall or early Spring and of course many self sow and I have read endless warnings about how they hate to be transplanted but true to fashion I tend to ignore advice and in this case, for me in Vermont, my transplants work out nicely. It might have alot to do with the fact that I grow nothing on flat ground because there IS no flat ground here so everything is sort of terraced/raised in a laid back, I was about to say 'slobby', way. Direct sown seeds frequently have a habit of getting caught up in a flash flood and pooling in the pathways or just vanishing. I do however broadcast pink poppies over the septic mound and they do swimmingly!

No comments: