Sunday, March 29, 2009

soggy leeks


Forgotten beneath the snow, what will become of them?

Last year was a departure for me as my gardening gaze shifted, complete with limited experience, to vegetables.
Everything was done pretty much on the fly with limited time and not nearly enough prepared space but, surprise of surprises, I became hooked. And even though I have a feeling my slap dash theme will continue through this season I realize I have not been truly this excited about gardening in 30 odd years. I came quickly to understand the difference between deer nibbling down a few hosta and any critters deigning to tromp through the veggie gardens, whole different ball of wax.
I had some dumb luck last season and some failures but even the least productive of my 'failures' was a success. Now I begin what I consider to be the fun stuff, deciding which varieties make the cut, what is best for storage/freezing/canning/trading. What folks will actually eat and what will be relegated to the compost pile.

I've loads to plant this year, way more than I have prepped beds but I'll squeeze in everything I can AND I am going to make a stab at some sort of labeling, something I've neglected in the past.
The 'to do' list is long, really long...but that's ok.

1 comment:

Mr. H. said...

Good Evening Randi,

Those leeks look pretty good...considering. Did they have any cover other than the snow? It never fails to amaze me how hardy some plants can be. I noticed just today that many of my old radicchio and French Sorrel plants that had been left to the ravages of winter were making a comeback.

You might find this article on leeks interesting, especially the seed saving part.
http://www.darrolshillingburg.com/GardenSite/leeks_1.htm

I'm glad to see that you are throwing yourself into vegetable gardening...some of them have the most beautiful flowers as well, especially the biennial herbs like oregano, thyme, and sage.

Success often comes after numerous failures, or so I tell myself regularly.

Mike