Friday, April 29, 2011

loss

Whenever I read a blog about the death of a beloved pet I feel deeply. Often feeling more deeply than I do when watching the perpetual horror stories in news cycles of tragedies too huge to comprehend. It is a matter of being able to, for the lack of a better word, relate.
But there is another part of me that feels it's just too personal sometimes, too raw.

So for Url the cat who I raised from the tender age of 2 days to 8 short years who died unexpectedly
yesterday and is now buried beneath one of the new apple trees I can only blink back my seemingly endless tears. No kidding, this cat was not a cat but a neurotic clown who gave me more smiles than I can calculate. I held him and made myself watch him as life left his eyes. I admit, without embarrassment, I am bereft.

5 comments:

Mr. H. said...

I'm so sorry Randi, the loss of our beloved little animal friends is never easy. Url had a good life with you and that is something that can be cherished forever. Not even death can take away the good memories and bonds that we have shared with these beautiful creatures. Url sounds like he was quite the character, may he live on in your memories...take care.

randi said...

thank you Mike...you are consistent in your kindness and it is so appreciated.

Kitchen Ninja said...

They are not just pets, they are our friends, as well.

I am so sorry for the loss of your sweet friend.

Unknown said...

In memory of URL

http://www.sjtrek.com/trek/ode/

Felis Cattus, is your taxonomic nomenclature,
an endothermic quadruped carnivorous by nature?
Your visual, olfactory and auditory senses
contribute to your hunting skills, and natural defenses.

I find myself intrigued by your sub-vocal oscillations,
a singular development of cat communications
that obviates your basic hedonistic predilection
for a rhythmic stroking of your fur, to demonstrate affection.

A tail is quite essential for your acrobatic talents;
you would not be so agile if you lacked its counterbalance.
And when not being utilized to aide in locomotion,
it often serves to illustrate the state of your emotion.

O Spot, the complex levels of behavior you display
connote a fairly well-developed cognitive array.
And though you are not sentient, Spot, and do not comprehend,
I nonetheless consider you a true and valued friend.

randi said...

wow, that's one of my fave Star Trek episodes! Thank you Scott..